Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title

.357 magnum time

Been busy with 9mm, .233 and 7.62x39.
    It's time to load one of my favorite rounds for my Model 66 Combat Magnum.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Always refreshing to take a newly reloaded round of .357 off the press! It’s the one round I’ve reloaded the most of. All on a single stage, most of mine have been 158gr Missouri Bullet Co LSWC and either Unique or Universal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    This thread could not have been posted at a better time. I just purchased a 357 this weekend. Took it out and man was it a blast to shoot (no pun intended)! I'm about to order some plated 158g bullets from Sage's site. Do you have a recommended powder or starting load? I am new to the 357 game. I will also be grabbing some 125g plated for loading in 38 special for it. The rounds are for paper target shooting.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammoman75 View Post
    This thread could not have been posted at a better time. I just purchased a 357 this weekend. Took it out and man was it a blast to shoot (no pun intended)! I'm about to order some plated 158g bullets from Sage's site. Do you have a recommended powder or starting load? I am new to the 357 game. I will also be grabbing some 125g plated for loading in 38 special for it. The rounds are for paper target shooting.
    I load Xtreme 158 gr with 7 grs of Unique for a target load in 357 good paper puncher

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Always refreshing to take a newly reloaded round of .357 off the press! It’s the one round I’ve reloaded the most of. All on a single stage, most of mine have been 158gr Missouri Bullet Co LSWC and either Unique or Universal.

Definitely one of my favorites as well! All my reloading is done on a single stage. I prefer the "feel" of it.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammoman75 View Post
    For magnum I'd recommend A#9 for 158gr and above bullets. For 125gr paper punchers you can use any powder you have on hand for 9mm. I've used CFE Pistol, Clean Shot and A#2.

Title
    Premium Member
    I tend to use a lot of Win231/HP38 or Bullseye for my plinking/target loads. For more full power, then the AA powders come out, or BE-86 or something else.
    disciplejourney.com

Title
    Premium Member
    Great cartridge. I load & shoot far more 38 Special loads through my ancient Model 19, but now and again some Full Fury 357 magnum loads manage to sneak into the cylinder!

I've had this one a couple of decades, and bought it used, in bad shape. The pitting on the cylinder was bad enough that it couldn't be nicely re-blued, so I had it Cerakoted. Great little gun, I carry it often when fishing, hiking or mountain biking. Then it's loaded with magnums! Pinned and recessed. Nice old gun.

Meanwhile, mostly it gets a steady diet of pretty light 38 Special/158 gr lead handloads.

Regards, Guy
    Last edited by Guy; 11-26-2018 at 06:14 PM.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Great cartridge. I load & shoot far more 38 Special loads through my ancient Model 19, but now and again some Full Fury 357 magnum loads manage to sneak into the cylinder!

I've had this one a couple of decades, and bought it used, in bad shape. The pitting on the cylinder was bad enough that it couldn't be nicely re-blued, so I had it Cerakoted. Great little gun, I carry it often when fishing, hiking or mountain biking. Then it's loaded with magnums! Pinned and recessed. Nice old gun.

Meanwhile, mostly it gets a steady diet of pretty light 38 Special/158 gr load handloads.

Regards, Guy
    Great old revolver!
    I mostly stick to .38 special as well, like you those pesky magnum rounds sneak into my range bag[emoji6] something about a full power magnum load put a big smile on a guys face. [emoji16]

Title
    Premium Member
    A few years ago I ran some 158 gr JHP Remington 357 mag factory loads across my chronograph... From the 2.5" barrel they clocked 1250 fps! I was surprised & pleased.

Most of my 38 practice ammo is in the 700 - 800 fps range. Usually either Bullseye or Unique.

Last edited by Guy; 11-26-2018 at 06:19 PM.